Hyperion Research Announces HPC Innovation Excellence Award Winners
DENVER, Nov. 17, 2017 -- Hyperion Research today announced the newest recipients of the HPC Innovation Excellence Award at SC17, the global supercomputing conference being held November 12-17 in Denver.
The awards for outstanding achievements enabled with high performance computing (HPC) are given twice a year, in conjunction with the June ISC conference in Germany and the November SC supercomputing conference held in the U.S. Details about the winners are below.
The program's main goals are to showcase return on investment (ROI) and success stories involving HPC; to help other users better understand the benefits of adopting HPC; and to help justify HPC investments, including for small and medium-size enterprises (SMEs).
“High performance computing contributes enormously to scientific progress, economic competitiveness, national security and the quality of human life," said Bob Sorensen, Hyperion Research vice president of research and technology. "The winners of these awards have been judged to be among the world's best at exploiting HPC to achieve important real-world innovations."
The judging panel for the awards is the HPC User Forum steering committee, a volunteer group of HPC experts from throughout the world.
"We thank steering committee chair Paul Muzio, vice-chair Rupak Biswas and their colleagues on the committee for carefully reviewing many impressive submissions and selecting the very best as award winners,” said Earl Joseph, Hyperion Research’s CEO and executive director of the HPC User Forum.
HPC INNOVATION EXCELLENCE AWARD WINNERS, NOVEMBER 2017
- UberCloud (U.S.). HPC Simulations of the Impact of Drug-induced Arrhythmias in Living Hearts. Wolfgang Gentzsch. http://biomechanics.stanford.edu/paper/MEheart.pdf
- Stevens Institute of Technology/New York City Economic Development Corporation (U.S.). Model for the Effects of Sea Level Rise in the Hurricane Storm Surge. ARCADIS-US (Zachary Cobell, Hugh Roberts), Stevens Institute of Technology (Alan Blumberg, Nikitas Georgas, Philip Orton) https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/hurricane-sandy-animations-could-improve-flood-forecasts/
- Columbia University (U.S.). Massive Genetic Study Shows How Humans are Evolving. Hakhamanesh Mostafavi. https://www.nature.com/news/massive-genetic-study-shows-how-humans-are-evolving-1.22565
- CINECA (Italy). SuRE_HPC: Sustainable & Renewable Energy HPC. Claudio Arlandini (CINECA), Riccardo Bergamin (ZECO), Alessandro Arcidiacono (Enginsoft) https://www.zeco.it/of-background-2796/
- NERSC, Berkeley Lab: Galactos. Prabhat. https://www.hpcwire.com/2017/10/02/galactos-project-solves-one-cosmologys-hardest-challenges/
- Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (U.S.). Choice Works: PSC Models Show Value of Vaccine Choice in Fighting Flu. David Moses. https://www.psc.edu/choiceworks
- University of Toronto SickKids Centre for Computational Medicine (Canada). Research Centre Identifies Precision Treatments. Jorge Gonzalez-Outeirino, Carl Virtanen, and Michael Brudno. http://www.sickkids.ca/globalchildhealth/
- Technical University of Denmark (Denmark). Supercomputer Redesign of Aeroplane Wing Mirrors Bird Anatomy. Niels Aage. https://techxplore.com/news/2017-10-supercomputer-tool-optimize-airplane-wing.html
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (U.S.). Researchers Eye Papermaking Improvements Through High-Performance Computing. Will Elmer. https://www.llnl.gov/news/quicker-picker-upper-lab-researchers-eye-papermaking-improvements-through-hpc
HPC VENDOR INNOVATION EXCELLENCE AWARD WINNERS, NOVEMBER 2017
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise (US). SpaceBorne Supercomputer. Mark R. Fernandez. https://news.hpe.com/hewlett-packard-enterprise-sends-supercomputer-into-space-to-accelerate-mission-to-mars/
About Hyperion Research
Hyperion Research is the new name for the former IDC high performance computing (HPC) analyst team. As Hyperion Research, the team continues all the worldwide activities that have made it the world’s most respected HPC industry analyst group for more than 25 years, including HPC and HPDA market sizing and tracking, subscription services, customer studies and papers, and operating the HPC User Forum. Hyperion helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. For more information, see http://www.hpcuserforum.com.
Source: Hyperion Research